There is one overarching theme to Cassava's food: Unprocessed. We don’t shy away from fats, especially healthy fats, and we don't count calories. But we avoid artificial anything like the plague, and except for some sauces, we try to make it all ourselves, using ingredients you can pronounce.
For a complete list of ingredients we avoid, scroll to the bottom of this page.
No Oxidized Vegetable Oils
We cook using ONLY unrefined coconut oil, butter or our own 100% grass-fed beef tallow. Aside from the flavor benefits of cooking with these delicious fats, they are also heat stable. When you cook with polyunsaturated vegetable oils (think canola, corn, and soy), oxidized cholesterol is introduced into your system. As the oil is heated and mixed with oxygen, it goes rancid which promotes vascular disease.
Is it safe for people with Celiac Disease?
Everything is always gluten-free, prepared in a dedicated gluten-free facility. Periodically, we send our dough to be tested for gluten to ensure we are below 10 parts per million. We're also corn-free, yeast free, and soy free (except for our chocolate roll, which contains soy lecithin, and some specialty catering dishes with Asian seasoning).
What else makes your empanadas stand-out?
Grass-fed beef. We are grass-fed fanatics. Our beef & cheddar empanada and our chili are all made with grass-fed beef. To us it is an ethical, culinary, and nutritional imperative.
High Protein. Our empanadas have a good balance of protein, carbs and fat, which means a lower glycemic index. The meat varieties have upwards of 14g of protein each. This comes from our high quality fillings and the cheese which we incorporate into the dough.
Fresh Veggies. All our veggies are chopped fresh in house.
LIST OF INGREDIENTS WE DO NOT USE IN ANY OF OUR PRODUCTS
- acesulfame-K (acesulfame potassium)
- acetylated esters of mono- and diglycerides
- ammonium chloride
- artificial colors
- artificial flavors
- artificial sweeteners
- benzoyl peroxide
- BHA (butylated hydroxyanisole)
- BHT (butylated hydroxytoluene)
- bleached flour
- bromated flour
- brominated vegetable oil (BVO)
- calcium bromate
- calcium disodium EDTA
- calcium peroxide
- calcium propionate
- calcium saccharin
- calcium sorbate
- calcium stearoyl-2-lactylate
- certified colors
- cysteine (l-cysteine), as an additive for bread products
- DATEM (Diacetyl tartaric and fatty acid esters of mono and diglycerides)
- dioctyl sodium sulfosuccinate (DSS)
- disodium calcium EDTA
- disodium dihydrogen EDTA
- disodium guanylate
- disodium inosinate
- ethyl vanillin
- ethylene oxide
- FD & C colors
- foie gras
- GMP (disodium guanylate)
- hexa-, hepta- and octa-esters of sucrose
- high fructose corn syrup
- hydrogenated fats
- IMP (disodium inosinate)
- lactylated esters of mono- and diglycerides
- lead soldered cans
- methyl silicon
- microparticularized whey protein derived fat substitute
- monosodium glutamate (MSG)
- partially hydrogenated oil
- potassium benzoate
- potassium bromate
- propyl gallate
- sodium aluminum sulfate
- sodium benzoate
- sodium diacetate
- sodium glutamate
- sodium nitrate/nitrite
- sodium propionate
- sodium stearoyl-2-lactylate
- solvent extracted oils, as standalone single-ingredient oils (except grapeseed oil).
- sorbic acid
- sucrose polyester
- sulfites (except in wines, meads and ciders)
- synthetic nitrates/nitrites
- TBHQ (tertiary butylhydroquinone)
- tetrasodium EDTA
- vanillin, when not naturally derived